The United Nations Foundation links the UN’s work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women's empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data is a global network bringing together governments, the private sector, and civil society organizations dedicated to using the data revolution to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Global Partnership drives action at the local, national, and global level to ensure the new opportunities of the data revolution are used to monitor and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. For more information, visit www.data4sdgs.org.
The intern will be a part of the Global Partnership’s External Relations team based in New York and will work remotely. They will report to the Global Partnership’s Communications Manager, and work closely with other colleagues including the Communications Coordinator, Partnership Engagement Manager, and Director of External Relations.
- Editorial: assist with drafting stories of impact and other editorial materials including blog posts, reports, and monthly newsletters.
- Production: support the production phase of editorial content from editing to design to publication and promotion.
- Multimedia: contribute to digital storytelling or data visualization content across various audience groups and platforms; assist with content scripts for videos; assist with editing and archiving video content.
- Social media: support production by drafting content and assisting to conceptualize and implement outreach campaigns for various GPSDD initiatives and events.
- Website management: support ongoing updates by adding, editing, and updating content.
- Convenings: support GPSDD events and partner convenings through planning, notetaking, logistics, registration, and all aspects of digital coverage for various critical moments on the GPSDD calendar such as the UN High-Level Political Forum and UN General Assembly.
- Assist with collecting and monitoring digital media analytics and media mentions.
- Support with ongoing partners’ database updates and management.
- Support the overall work of the communications and engagement team.
- Attend related events to develop your understanding of how and why data can be used to improve people’s wellbeing.
- Candidate must be enrolled in a degree-granting program during the internship or must be a recent graduate (within 8 months of graduation) of a college or university.
- Experience with communications, social media and blogging; confidence using social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Hootsuite.
- Knowledge of and strong interest in international development, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Sustainable Development Goals, and the data revolution for sustainable development.
- Strong written communication skills including demonstrated use of proper grammar and clear style.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral skills.
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter.
- Background in marketing/communications or public relations preferred.
- Experience in Word, Excel, Outlook, and Google Suite essential. Google Analytics, Mailchimp, basic video editing, and Eventbrite desirable.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of data science, data analysis, and/or data visualization will be an advantage.
- Ability to work a full-time schedule (30-40 hours/week) or a minimum of 3 days per week during regular office hours (Eastern Time Zone).
- Must have a personal laptop computer and access to the Internet.
Benefits and Compensation
The United Nations Foundation offers unpaid full and part-time internships. We are happy to host interns who are able to receive academic credit or a stipend through their college or university. However, please note that it is not a requirement in order to intern with us.
*Please note that this is a Spring 2021 internship, and all Spring 2021 internships will be remote*
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.